Model Risk within a Basel Environment
A 1-day Training Course
Programme Director: Risk Reward Faculty
This practical course will offer insights into the nature and manifestation of model risk within financial services. The review of the Basel Requirements together with practical examples will highlight how models should be developed, structured, approached and tested.
At the end of the course participants will be able to:
- Identify the main sources of model risk
- Be aware of Basel II's consideration of model risk and its relevance to Pillar 2 of the Basel Accord
- Understand the importance of model testing
- Assess the role of senior managers in managing model risk
- Identify procedures for vetting and reviewing models
Who Should Attend
- Directors and non executive directors
- Risk department staff
- Operational and middle office staff
- Regulatory department staff
- Internal Auditors
This is not intended for quantitative analysts seeking to advance their financial modelling knowledge. No detailed financial modelling will be conducted on this course.
Session 1: Introduction to Model Risk
- Model risk defined
- Sources of model risk
- Where are models used?
- Challenges involved with quantifying model risk
- Methods for estimating model risk
- Introduction to sensitivity analysis, stress testing and scenario modelling
Session 2: Introduction to model risk in a Basel framework
- The basic Basel requirements on models
- The role of the Board relating to models
- Role of senior managers in managing model risk
- Procedures prior to implementing a model
- Requirements with regard to validating a model
- The role of internal audit
Session 3: Model building – risks and controls
- How does one go about constructing a model?
- Building a scoring model
- Backtesting models prior to use
- Documenting a model
- How to compare outputs to actions
Session 4: The importance of second pairs of eyes - validation
- How does one go about validating models?
- The importance of oversight
- Reviewing outputs
- Dealing with assumptions
Session 5: Specific Risk Modelling Approaches
- Credit and counterparty credit risk models
- Market risk models
- Liquidity risk models
- Operational risk models
- Enterprise risk modelling
Poznámka: seminár v anglickom jazyku
Dennis William Cox, is an innovative financial services risk management specialist, chartered accountant and internal auditor who has been a thought leader in the international banking and financial services sector for over 30 years. He has held senior management positions within the banking and accountancy profession as Director.
He has significant expertise in total risk management, risk – based internal audit, forensic accounting, money, Laundering deterrence, treasury, credit, liquidity, operational and market risk. Dennis is an accomplished including international conference chairman and lecturer, and is the author of a number of publications including Banking and Finance.
GarantMgr. Vladimíra Jacková